PrAACtically January: AAC Resources for A Year of Core Words
As we prepare to take down our 2018 calendars, we’re looking ahead to January and gearing up to model and teach some more core words to our AAC learners. If you have some prep time this week, join us! This is a great time to get the word cards and other materials for the Year of Words (Set 1; Set 2) ready to use with the AAC learners in our lives. Thanks to the generous spirit of PrAACtical AAC readers we have posts with a variety of resources:
- Templates for you to plug in your own symbols: Set 1 words, Set 2 words
- Minspeak/Unity version: Set 1
- PCS versions: Set 1, Set 2
- Speak for Yourself version: Set 2
- SymbolStix version: Set 1
- Lesson Pix: Set 1
- Smarty Symbols: Set 1 words, Set 2 words
- CoughDrop: Set 1 words; Set 2 words
- WordPower: Set 1 words (Note: This is a large file that contains the resources for several versions of WordPower)
- WordPower: Set 2 Words in Symbol Stix and PCS (Both are large files that have sets for different versions of WordPower)
Thanks to Brian Whitmer, Barbara Fernandes, Nancy Inman, Deborah Lesher, Beth Erwin, Bill and Lori Binko, Heidi LoStracco, Alison Wade, Russell Cross, Gail Van Tatenhove, Eric Sailers, Rachael Langley, and others who contributed to this effort.
The Set 1 January words are: again, all gone/all done, different, help, mine, more, not/don’t stop, that, want, what, you
The Set 2 January words are: are, boy, but, clean, house, look, made, open, problem, see, slow, stand, to, wait, when, yes
Eager to get started? We can begin by modeling these words in sentences as we move throughout our day.
Reading is another way to get in some core word practice. Here are some suggestions for books that you provide lots of opportunities to emphasize the January words.
- Herman the Helper by Robert Kraus and Jose Aruego: again, help, that, what, you; are, boy, but, house, look, made, problem, see, slow, to
- A House for Hermit Crab by Eric Carle Crab: different, mine, not/don’t, want, what, you; are, clean, house, look, see, to, when, yes
- The Mitten by Jan Brett: again, help, more, not/don’t, stop, that, want, what, you; are, boy, but, house, look, made, open, problem, see, to
- More, More, More, Said the Baby by Vera Williams: all done, mine, more, not/don’t, stop, that, want, what; are, boy, but, clean, look, made, open, see, slow, stand, wait,yes
- It’s Mine! by Leo Lionni: again, all gone/all done, different, mine, not/don’t stop, that, want, what, you; are, boy, but, house, look, made, problem, see, to, wait, when
- Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? by Dr. Seuss: different, that, you; boy, look, made, open, see, slow, stand, to, wait, when, yes
Need some more ideas for how to highlight these words? Rachael Langley’s calendars are just the thing.
Looking forward to another AAC-filled year!
Filed under: Featured Posts, PrAACtical Thinking
Tagged With: Another Year of Core Words, downloads, Year of Core Vocabulary
This post was written by Carole Zangari