7 Writing Apps & Activities for ALL Levels of Writers
These are some ‘non-traditional’ but really fun apps and activities that can be used to help improve writing, choice making, & AAC skills for all levels of writers. These apps allow you to create meaningful language experiences through the process of creating the written documents, by talking about & printing out the finished product, as well as by using writing specific reinforcement so that the learner knows they are really a writer (“wow, you are an author”, “great writing”, “awesome using many different words”, “excellent poetry”, etc.). Have fun and write.
- Type Drawing– TypeDrawing allows you to enter text or choose from a text word bank to draw lines or pictures. The text is repeated each time you begin drawing or touch and drag on the screen with your finger. We used this to make text pictures and then sent the pictures as notes to friends, birthday cards to a teacher, and I Love You notes to parents. +Designed for iPhone & iPad.
- Word Foto– Fun with pictures and images. Take a picture and then type in text about the picture. The text will then be embedded into the picture. Designed for iPhone.
- Visual Poetry– Type lists, poems, phrases or any text and watch it instantly arranged into the learner’s choice of approximately 24 shapes. You can even customize your own shape if you want. You can use core words, fringe words or a combination of both. +Designed for iPhone & iPad.
- Comic Book– Take pictures, choose text boxes and write using comic fonts. This can be a one time comic or you can create a whole comic book adventure series. +Designed for iPhone & iPad.
- LEDit the LED Banner App– LEDit lets you type text and then converts the text to a dot-matrix L.E.D. display. It can be used to visually show a message to someone in a noisy or busy environment. You can do screen saver photo shots to save the image but may need to do several screen shots to capture the whole message. When these photos are printed out they can be rearranged to show the whole message. Designed for the iPhone or iTouch.
- Wanted Poster Pro– Choose a wanted poster, take pictures or use photos from your library, Write in some captions, fill in some ‘wanted’ information and print out the poster so it can be shared with classmates, friends, or family. +Designed for iPhone & iPad.
- NOTE’d– Choose from a selection of really cute notebooks and create as many notebooks as you want. Type in the name of the notebook and then write some…. write anything. You can make shopping lists, write recipes, take notes, be the class journal writer, etc. You can even add pictures and or voice messages within your notes. Designed for iPhone.
We have listed just a few of the ways we use these apps for communication, language, & literacy activities. Please share any other activities you use with these types of apps to expand and facilitate writing skills. We love to hear your new ideas and perspectives.
Just 2 Sample Products from our gallery.
Filed under: PrAACtical Thinking
This post was written by Robin Parker