Published on September 5th, 2013 | by Robin Parker0
Literacy: Cookies & Core
It is International Literacy Month. We always like to celebrate with food. So when we found these cookies at Ikea we just had to get them, use them, and of course eat them. Here is one of the activities we used with these delicious cookies. Can you guess the goals?
Then we took the box of cookies out, spelled “like it”, waited expectantly and after prAACtice with spelling and saying in/out, more prAACtice and Aided Language Input, the student used the cookies to add “out”
So the cookies were taken out. We had a yummy snack.
Then it was time for recess but before cleaning up, the student does this:
Note: Other visual supports/AAC strategies used during this activity:
- Core word AAC display/device
- Daily Schedule- Speech Time, Recess (vertical schedule)
- Mini Schedule- Cookie Spelling: 1. Spelling 10 words 2. Setting Table, 3. Eating 4 cookies, 4. Cleaning up (vertical schedule)
- Number Organizer- numbers 1-10 to keep track of words spelled
- Eating Organizer-
- First Then Board- first spell 10 then have snack & eat cookies (in case eating cookies seemed better than spelling, however, once student realized we were going to definitely eat the cookies, he was ok spelling first).