Mother’s Day, AAC Style
Here in the US, we’ll be celebrating Mother’s Day soon. If you’re looking for resources that you can incorporate into your AAC work, we have some ideas for you. These are great for highlighting core vocabulary, such as these:
- Pronouns: I, you, she, we, her, our
- Verbs: can, do, give, help, like, love, make, read, see, write
- Adjectives: good, nice, pretty, smart, strong
- Conjunctions: and, because, but, with
- Time Words: later, now, today, tomorrow
- Questions: what, who, where
Read about Mothers and Mother’s Day with some of these books.
- Mother’s Day Book for Early Communicators by AAC with Annie
- Mother’s Day book highlighting core words ‘like’ and ‘give’ from Speech by Carrie. You can also check out this one which focuses on the words ‘help’ and ‘make’ and offers practice with several pronouns.
- From Boardmaker
- From Tarheel Reader (SDJ)
- From Tarheel Reader (Nicolaus)
Cards and letters are always appreciated and a great way to practice language and literacy skills. Here are a few to check out.
- From AU-SOME Little Learners
- From Blooming Kiddos
- From Education to the Core
- From Twinkl Printable Resources
- From Mollie Pouska
- From The Sped Zone
Why not whip up a special recipe like this one from Susan Jones?
If the family is growing, this story from Autism Little Learners may come in handy.
Complete a survey about Mom, like this one from Miss Nelson.
Crafts are a great way to build language and practice AAC skills.
- Teapot craft from The Crayon Box Classroom
- Handprint poem and bookmark from The Teacher Gene
- Ladybug Flower Pot from Amanda Hagaman
- Seed Bombs from Simply Special Ed
- Bath Salts from Breezy Special Ed
- Mason Jar Craftivity from Speech Language Pirates
Don’t forget about Grandma! Jennifer Reiss has some materials that may come in handy.
Looking for gifts?
- Make your own coupon book with this resource from Mandy Gregory or this one from Stacy Befort
- Write a book for mom with this kit from The Classroom Nook
- Write a book with these materials from Up, Up, and Array
Check out these activities about Mothers and Babies from Verna Chan.
Sing with Mom about the things you love with this verse from Speech and Language Songs.
Direct link to video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCXi_bOmiY8&list=PLfQnuxbhVNX-otyYW_CQIf6kQQhlosK_5
Filed under: Featured Posts
This post was written by Carole Zangari